Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Got You Where I Want You

If you ever play against my brother tQmagnavox on the ladder or in a tourney, there is a very good chance that he is listening to this song below while he fights you.



Slowly overtime I've developed a similar habit of having a queue of Youtube videos loaded up and repeating over and over as I play for long periods of time. I find it can be helpful when things get intense to help keep you focused even as you hear screams and explosions are your forces and buildings are being ripped to shreds.

I unfortunately missed the last GUSC2 tourney that was held over the weekend (congratulations to tQprobe the winner this week!), because ti maolek i siniente-ku yan mumayulang iyo-ku keyboard, but as I was preparing for it last week I found myself listening to one song over and over again. My most difficult matchup has been kontra Terran, as I find the M and M and M deathball so frustrating and so difficult to take down in a straight up match. I have found as I wrote about in my last post, that if I can proxy pylon rush Terran and take down their army at their ramp or eventually wear them down an hour into the game by warping in an almost endless supply of cheap kamikaze zealots, I can beat Terran, but if the game ever moves into the middle to late stages, Terran eventually overruns me with its M and M and M.

The song I was listening to in order to give me inspiration for a nice way to defeat Terran was "Got You Where I Want You" from The Flys, which was a popular song in the late 1990's (when I used to be into contemporary popular blah blah music), and was featured in the soundtracks for Disturbing Behavior and Dawson's Creek. I have always loved the sound and tortured feel of the song and over the years, as I have changed my interpretations of what the point of the intent of the song (and the singer) are. Sometimes it feels sardonic. Sometimes angry. Sometimes hopeful. Sometime earnest.

When I added this song to my Starcraft 2 playlist, I found myself once again enamored with the lyrics and the sort of slow, twisting angry style of the song. Last week I actually translated it into Chamorro, or rather created a Chamorro version of the song. Here's a little tinamtam of what I came up with (the first is the original English lyrics, the second part is the Chamorro version and then an English translation of the Chamorro)

Hey, what's the point of this?
Oh hey, what's your favorite song?
Maybe we could hum along.
Well, I think you're smart,
you sweet thing,
Tell me your name,
I'm dying here.



Got you where I want you


*****************************


Nene para hafa este?
Sangåni yu’ i mas ya-mu na kanta.
Buente siña ta akanta
Kao malate’ hao
Siempre siempre
Sangåni yu’ ni’ na’ån-mu
Sa’ esta kumekemåtmos yu’


Hågu i magoggue-ku!


*******************************

Baby, what is the point of this?
Tell me your favorite song
Maybe we can sing it to each other?
Are you smart?
Of course of course
Tell me your name
Because I'm just about to drown

You, are my salvation!

The moral of the story is that eventually I was able to figure out some cool builds against Terran and the song was the perfect soundtrack as I found myself picking apart the Very Hard AI piece by piece, killing them on both land and air, and switching back and forth between units and tech to keep the advantage, limiting their expansions and even using warp prisms for drops. And the whole time, that song in the background shrieking the perfect followup to what I was doing, na put fin, gaige hao manu na ga'o-ku.

No comments:

Post a Comment